Following on from the Free From Pancakes collaboration I am, again, joining forces with some amazing free from bloggers to bring you a free from Easter.
I have been told by the hubby that he misses my baking so I am going to be experimenting a lot more with gluten free bakes. I will admit I have found the thought of baking gluten free quite daunting. I can bake gluten free cakes but I am yet to perfect a loaf and still need to try making pastry. So over the coming months I am going to rediscover my baking passion. I find reading the other free from blogs so inspiring and they really do give me the confidence to try more. My aim is to show you that it is possible to create baked treats that are gluten free and will please the whole family, not just those that follow a gluten free diet.
For my first of two free from Easter bakes I have made some delicious chocolate cup cakes and next week I will be sharing a savoury recipe. So keep an eye out for that one!
Today's recipe is a simple sponge cupcake but is gluten free and free from refined sugar. This is what I did...
Ingredients - Makes 8 cupcakes
15g cocoa powder
110g baking spread
75g agave nectar
Pinch of xanthan gum
50g free from chocolate
40g gluten free cereal flakes, I used Nature's Path Mesa Sunrise, crushed
Pre heat the oven to 180C
1 - Place the flour, spread, agave nectar, eggs and cocoa in a bowl and mix thoroughly
2 - Divide the mixture between 8 cupcake cases and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 20 minutes
3 - Once the cakes are thoroughly baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on a cooling rack
4 - Once the cakes have cooled melt the free from chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water
5 - Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cupcakes
6 - Scatter over the crushed gluten free flakes, they will represent a nest
7 - Decorate with the mini eggs in the centre of the crushed flakes, to balance the larger Daim eggs you will need to cut out a small circle of the cake in the centre
The gluten free flakes not only look great but they also add a welcomed crunch to the cakes.
I have used mini eggs and Daim eggs but you can use any chocolate egg that you wish!
For more FreeFromEaster ideas check out these amazing free from blog posts..
- Apple, Date and Walnut Hot Cross Buns from The Peachick's Bakery
- Berry Breakfast Easter Nests from Free From Farmhouse
- Chocolate, Marshmallow Crispie Squares from The Intolerant Gourmand
- Easter Rocky Road from Cherished by Me
- Quick Chocolate Cream Nests from Glutarama
- No Bake Creme Egg Biscuit Cake from The Gluten Free Alchemist
- Hot Cross Buns from Free From Fairy
- Free From Vegan Easter Fruit and Nut Chocolates from Sneaky Veg
- Mini Simnel Cakes from Easy Peasy Foodie
- Spiced Carrot Muffins from The Adventures of an Allergy Mum
- Gluten Free Vegan Biscuits from Le Coin de Mel
- Mummy Tries
- Dairy Free Kids
- Eats Amazing
Pin me for later!